Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

March 29, 2007: Dean and Britta. No Celebri-spiral Needed

When I was in Arizona last month, I discovered Lux, the amazacular coffee shop/art gallery in Phoenix.

Happy in Phoenix at some cool hangout in the hot desert? Was I experiencing a mirage? No. It was over-the-top-great coffee, food, design, people, and music. I spent a lot of time there, writing, getting wired on the java, and listening to music that the Assistant Manager played.

She focused on a group called Luna, and I learned that they were fronted by Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips, who ended Luna and became simply Dean and Britta. Think retro 60's Dusty Springfield meets Nancy Sinatra with Lee Hazelwood meets a trance-loungey vibe.

I don't know anything about D&B other than their music, pictures, and what little their website tells me. I am going to see them tonight at DC's Black Cat, and I can't wait.

Some of the best times I have had this year have been discovering musicians and seeing their concerts; Josh Groban, Josh Ritter, and now Dean and Britta. All of these discoveries were referrals from people. I didn't see these artists getting trashed at Diddy's St. Tropez party, dating Tara Reid, or puking with Lindsay Lohan on the cover of Star Magazine.

I experience great satisfaction when I break out of this celebri-spiraling culture and discover art, movies, music, books, and life without the faded, dirty tinsel of celebrity driving either the product or my interest in it.

The music is plenty edgy. What it does to the imagination is edgy, too. So don't give me grief about being too sentimental or taking a break from the faux-edge of celebri-crap.

No celebri-spiral, or trashy celebri-marketing, was needed to get them on my radar. Their new album is Back Numbers. Check it out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for turning me on to Dean and Britta...I love being let in on the ground floor. Just signed up for their newsletter.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For every talent-free, overly packaged Britney Spears, there are these musicians just playing and doing their art

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:18:00 AM  
Blogger Annie & Suz said...

Love the inside scoop on the music, but, Dave, this isn't called "Celebri-spiral" for nothing! I need and crave more than this! Between you and now Perez now taking hours between posts, I'm going into some serious withdrawal. I've decided how to fill the void - I'm changing my walking route to work: First by the ABC studios where they film Good Morning America and then on to NBC Studios at Rock Center to get a glimpse of Meredith, Matt and Al and celeb of the day entertaining the crowds. This new route was inspired by my guy friend, Brian C. He happens to be in celebri--spriral denial (ah-ha, that rymes!) He claims that he only reads his girlfriends old Us Magazines, but I beg to differ - he's going out of his way every day to see celebs live!Anyway, the other day, he spotted Marky Mark (OOOOOHHHH HOW I LOVE HIM) and Terrence Howard - IN ONE DAY!!!Side note: This was only revealed to me after HE SPOTTED Nathan Lane (one of Suz's favs - hahahahahaha!) sitting across from us yesterday at at Brooklyn Diner on 57th and 7th. When, oh when, will he stop the machismo sport loving act and admit he too has spiraled with us?


Dave, again, love this insight on the music - but let's get back to the basics. Bring on Angie, Anna (YES ANNA!!!), Britney and all the others!!!

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

Macho men have a hard time admitting they celebri-spiral, too. I had one the other night tell me how he reads tabloids when he travels. Come clean, dude.

Annie, I think you'll find Friday's post about purging right up your alley, if not your unremarkable anus.

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved Dean and Britta. How were they live?

Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

They are fascinating live. Very laid back. Cool stage presence. Reminded me in some way of the Pet Shop Boys. Very cool.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 6:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home