Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March 21, 2007: Springtime for Celebri-spiralers. Check out Roseanne's Blog










I have developed this begrudging respect for Roseanne Barr, the comic formerly known as Roseanne.

In this celebri-spiraling world of crazed, allegedly-rehabbed, me-me-me 22-year-olds, it's refreshing to hear a middle-aged woman who's been there, done that when it comes to drugs, split personalities, and ugly celebrity behavior, but now seems to be on the other side.

Check out Roseanne's blog, which hosts her rants on funny aspects of everyday life, as well as sharp criticisms of the Bush administration, organized religion, and Americans who don't pay enough attention to what's important.

There's very little on typical career hype and self-aggrandizing, also rare from a celebrity today.

What other celebrities actually contribute something to the national conversation about real issues that matter? Who's your favorite, and why?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Roseanne is the best...raw, funny, matter-of-fact and just totally unafraid. I am a huge fan of hers and still love her series, which is an absolute classic and still resonates.

Ok, so, enough of my rant...other celebs that actually contribute positively to the debate? Not many. I usually feel that celebrities should shut up and entertain...George Clooney is as cute as can be, but I would never change my vote based on his position.

My favorite ranters are usually the nutbars like Ted Nugent who speak with such conviction that you find yourself beginning to relate to what they are saying....Looks like I am a perfect target for a cult. Come get me Thetans! Send Tom Cruise my way!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted Nugent. Guns Rock!!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roseanne really has morphed into this interesting woman with good things to say who's not so off-putting in manner.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Dave, after reading what she had to say about Judaism and Israel, she lost me...

Friday, March 23, 2007 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

She's a spiritualist I guess. I think she was knocking denominations but maybe I missed a deeper meaning.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Roseanne is Jewish, by the way, but I agree with Dave. She seems to be critical of organized religion...

Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home