Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

March 28, 2007: Spring Cleaning, Buh Bye Celebri-spiral Magazines

It's spring cleaning time and first steps first. I traverse my home collecting an unwieldy collection of stray magazines, put them in a pile, and wonder how I will ever get through them, knowing that I am incapable of throwing them out before checking them out,

Too much media, not enough time to go through it all, and an inability to just say no; this is my Mt. Everest.

I am not willing to admit where I get these magazines; well, OK, maybe I will tell you. Some I buy, some I "find", some are donated by friends who save their US magazines for me, knowing I am too conflicted to fork over the $3.49 to buy my own.

But there they are. Vanity Fair issues calling out Old Hollywood, US magazine with "shocking revelations" about that woman whose name I shall no longer utter, and The Advocate, with this month's gay-friendly celebrity du jour.

The celebrity media rags sit in a pile taunting me, along with a few copies of Men's Health, House Beautiful, and Esquire, ostensibly focused on fitness, home, and writing, respectively. But the truth is that each of these also features celebs on the cover. Read us, read us. But no, I hold back. For now. One lone issue of Real Simple is set apart, espousing the joys of simplicity. That one is a keeper. I might cancel my subscription to Entertainment Tonight in favor of Horse and Hound, We'll see. But for now, the stack sits in my kitchen untouched.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa G said...

Oh, right, like Real Simple is such a high road. With their writerly essays about finding a bird's nest in the backyard or the tragedy that ensues when one lends a friend money, or The Day a Homeless Man Taught Me The True Meaning of Charity. And the perfect pair of black pants for every body size, and how you can fashion an empty toilet paper roll into a condom dispenser. Say what you want about a mag that covers the latest twitch of Jennifer Aniston's nose, at least they're not pretending to be intelligent.

And you know you aint never gonna make those damn recipies in the back, Martha. Stop fronting.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa G said...

p.s. Yes, I subscribe to Real Simple.

xo

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

Throw down the gauntlet, Lisa G. I will stay home and make "Real Simple" shutters out of tree stumps. Bring it!

Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Real Simple. It's written by people on too many anti-depressants.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell is Horse and Hound?

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:19:00 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Anonymous, please rent "Notting Hill."

Monday, April 02, 2007 9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home