Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

April 12, 2007: White Rabbit's Celebri-spiral Ode to Imus

By this point, what's left to say about Imus and the "ho" shots heard 'round the world?

MSNBC dumped him. CBS suspended him from radio, and as the advertisers flee, how long before they give him the boot, too? The women's basketball team of Rutgers is so earnest and appealing that he looks worse by the minute. Now there are allegations of previous racial comments and improprieties at the cancer ranch. All of this before he makes an apology at the school to those young women, and the world, and we see if he moves the dial in his favor at all. I never liked him, but I'm hinging my opinion on the damnation by fellow shock jock Howard Stern. So take that with the largest acre of salt you can find.

Most importantly, he's causing me to have a total celebri-spiral, in which I am Lost in Imus-land and the World of the Haters.

Instead of taking an Alice-like-dive through the I HATE IMUS looking glass, I composed this little ditty to get me through my Imus celebri-spiral.

(Sung to the tune of "White Rabbit")

One show makes you larger
And one slur makes you small
And the slurs that guests throw to you
Don't keep you on the ball!
Go ask Imus
When he's two feet tall

And if you go dribbling caca
And don't know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking bloviator
Has given you the call
Recall Imus
When he was just as small

White men on the radio
Think they know how far to go
And you just had some kind of mushroom

And think you're a frat boy with your bro

Go ask Imus

I think he'll know

When logic and a muzzle

Were never on your head

And the team coach defends her Forwards

And Al Sharpton's "off with his head!"

Remember what Mel and Kramer said:

"Dude you're dead,
Dude you're dead,
Dude you're dead"

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imus: 'I've apologized enough'
POSTED: 12:31 p.m. EDT, April 12, 2007
Story Highlights• Imus says he will not go on "some talk show tour"
• Sen. Obama on NBC airing remarks: "I think it's atrocious"
• TV network will no longer simulcast "Imus in the Morning"
• Rutgers women's basketball team will meet with Imus

Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This whole Imus thing would be a lot more understandable if he was actually relevant. Nobody listens to his show anymore...he is a dried up old coot and his usage of terms brought into the lexicon by the hip hop artists and entertainment industry is silly-akin to my grandmother calling her wedding ring "bling". This is not to say that his remarks weren't insensitive and stupid--they were--but to carry on this witch hunt serves neither side of the debate. The truth is, no one knows what is or isn't offensive half the time anymore because we are desensitized to the true meanings and origins of the words.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bitch Suzanne is right.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous, thank you for your support but please, in keeping with our theme here -- I prefer to be called "that Ho" as opposed to "that bitch". Thanks!

Thursday, April 12, 2007 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

More like, she's a lady. Whoa, whoa, whoa, she's a lady, a la Tom Jones.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So crazy that they canceled him on Radio AND TV now.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple of observations:

1) What he said was wrong - plain and simple. How he's choosing to apologize is right - plain and simple. It bugs me that everyone is nailing this guy to the cross. Forgiveness anyone? (Actually Rutgers, the target of remarks, handling it with class, said that they're moving forward and healing.) And, this happens all the time in any kind of scandal. What's that old saying about glass houses? Sooner or later a prominent finger pointer will be caught in a scandal...I can't wait! Pass me the popcorn!

2)Bizarre how we witnessed our own true to life "Crash" story unfold. Man makes racist remark; man gets fired (people lose jobs and who knows what happens to them!?); man apologizes and governor rushes to attend the big "Sorry Summit" gets into horrific car crash (it's rumored that he was sans seatbelt) What next? Should Imus be nailed to the cross for that too?

Friday, April 13, 2007 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous, I think I love you...I agree with every word you have said. Love the "Crash" analogy...the universe is in an uproar...

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

"Anonymous, I think I love you"

Suzanne, is this the first time you've ever said this. If not, better look out and hope Imus doesn't call you a ho.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Cathleen Rittereiser said...

Last time I looked, what happened to Imus is called a lynching.

But I'm with anonymous. The craziest part of this is Jon Corzine damn near getting killed on the way to the summit meeting. I doubt the pix of his smashed car and video of him being airlifted to some horrid NJ hospital were the photo ops he was hoping to achieve. Not very presidential looking. Maybe Barack Obama's relatives put a voodoo curse on Corzine for supporting Hillary Clinton.

Didn't he learn anything from the death of Princess Diana?

Wait a second, do you think Hillary did hire the team that ran Princess Diana off the road? I heard she's meeting with the Rutgers basketball team now too.

I saw Jon Corzine in Newark Airport once, he's a big guy. My trainer and I figured out that's what probably saved his life. It just sounds like he got squashed. If he had shorter legs he probably just would have kept flying forward. What a mess.

At the same time, I would be really in a snit if someone called me nappy-headed.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home