Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

March 10, 2007: Scarlett Johansson on Celebrity Tabloid Culture

I've never read anything about Scarlett Johansson, so she's a rare celebrity clean slate for me. I loved her in Match Point and Lost in Translation. I know she's dated some hot leading men, like Patrick Wilson and Josh Hartnett. I get a hip, sultry, wise-beyond-her -years vibe. But other than those factoids, I had no personality snapshot of her until now.

She's the cover subject of Parade magazine this week. In the interview, she talks about avoiding paparazzi, her looks, and other self-absorbed topics that are de rigeur for a typical celebrity interview.

But when asked about her recent foray into the tabloids, as the other woman in the Cameron Diaz/Justin Timberlake breakup, she made a comment that I thought was rather celebri-spiralish of her:

"I think people today are very cynical. They need to bring other people down. Reality television and tabloid magazines-never before did we need to see movie stars taking out their garbage. But all of a sudden, it's front page news-trying to figure out who's dating whom, all that stuff. There are so many other things, shocking news stories that we should be paying attention to. But that's kind of how it goes. It feeds itself."

I don't know. Does it feed itself? Or does the media feed it, and people just gorge on readily available junk food, like they're at a Las Vegas all-you-can-eat-buffet?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Whether we want to admit it or not, the media's role in society is to shape our thoughts, beliefs and desires. We are inherently trusting of media coverage because we have been raised to believe that they are simply delivering the news and remaining impartial. But really all they want is to sell copies.

In addition, just as much as the media creates our need for more outrageous news coverage, celebrity handlers and publicists know how the game works and are basically silent partners with celebrity media. They desperately need each other and we are the pawns in their money-making game.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

Oh my God it's a celebri-conspiracy!

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

I am a pawn. Is that like a victim, Suz? Cause if it is, can I have the "Media Victim" scrawl under my TV appearances on Montel, Dr Keith Ablow and Star Jones' new show when I start hawking media victimization?

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's refreshing to hear a celeb call out the celebrity b.s. but not in a pompous, ego-driven way. She sounds smart.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least she didn't whine and bitch like all the other starlets do...oh poor me, I am CHASED everywhere and I don't know why, blah blah blah

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home