Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

February 21, 2007: It's Not "The News." It's "The Bad News"

Today, I was feeling guilty about celebri-spiraling until I looked at the CNN headlines.

It's not "the news." It's "the bad news."

In addition to Anna Nicole live courtroom drama and bald Britney in rehab, these are CNN's top headlines right this minute:

Iran defiant as nuclear deadline expires

New poison gas blast kills 2 in Iraq

U.N.: Philippines military responsible for killings

Thousands flee deadly fighting in eastern Congo

18 drowned in India school outing

Suicide car bomb kills 8 in Najaf

Howard rules out Australian troop withdrawal

'Sport killings' of homeless on the rise

U.S. admiral questions Iran's motives

Deadly toxic bomb hits Iraqi town

Iran close to enriching uranium

No wonder so many of us turn to entertainment escapism, even sordid, pulp fiction nonsense like the wrangling over Anna Nicole Smith's baby daddy, body, and potential estate windfall. Everything else right now is a total buzzkill.

For a change of pace, visit Goodnewsnow.com and Happynews.com. They may feel a little corny, but that's because we're so damn cynical and conditioned to expect atrocity, like a perverse pack of Pavlov's dogs, salivating over daily rations of misery.

Or, just get the sad news made fun from Jon Stewart and The Daily Show. They do a yeoman's job of getting the key news across without making me reach for the Zoloft, Vodka, or remote.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruthieonart said...

I am the webmaster for www.goodnewnow.com. Thanks for the mention. I will confess my job can be depressing, reading through all the news. I am like everybody's mom, "Don't read that junk!" Also I find myself reading about Britney from time to time, it is like chocolate, I guess it makes me feel good for a minute because I am not that messed up. But then I feel disgusted. I could have been reading the art section of the New York Times instead.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

Lol, you are welcome, oh happy webmaster.

Yes, but Britney coverage is not one small delicious deserved piece of Godiva. It is quite the opposite. It's more like eating four corn-syrupy chocolate sundaes in a row - compulsively and without really tasting - then wanting to hurl afterwards.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home