Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

February 20, 2007: 1st Photo! Paris Hilton Welcomes Britney Back to the Clubs

Exclusive! 1st Photo! It's sweet to see Paris welcoming Britney back to the Roxy Nightclub in Los Angeles last night, where bald-buzzed Brit greeted her friends with a chagrined hick wail, "I shaved mah hairs off, ya'll!"

OK, maybe that's harsh. But may I remind everyone that cashing in on Cele-britney knocked Iraq off the front pages?

I am pissed. Appalled. Wanting someone in charge to please take the bad candy away from me.


But no, instead I view pictures of Britney in a cheap Peggy Lee wig, hitting the clubs again. My bad.

If I am going to read about this, I like coverage like the letter on Arianna Huffington's blog. At least it probes to ask what happened so that Brit can offer her story as a cautionary tale. Turn it into something redeemable, when it's now just a sad punchline for a lot of us.

It's admirable and smart that some talk show hosts are making a point of not joking about Spears. It's a meltdown, pure and simple. It's a terrible impulse we have to go after the vulnerable. But she could stay home and have a nervous breakdown. Why did she need to do this when she knew cameras were rolling? Video footage show her bodyguards making sure paparazzi got clear shots of her hair-raze and tattooing. Last night, she was back at the Roxy nightclub with "friends."

The New York Daily News offers a reasonable 10-step program to recovery. At least they're moving on from gossipy shock and awe to gossipy wry hope. There's muted progress for you.

As for Spears' leftover locks: On Monday, eBay removed the salon owners' weekend bid to sell the hair, so the owners created buybritneyshair.com to accept bids. The minimum: a cool million, with "a portion" going to charity, the site says. Esther the salon owner in Tarzana is the luckiest bitch in So Cal this week, if you ask me.

So what happened after the Iraq resolution went before Congress the same day Britney went bald? Maybe Nancy Pelosi should shave her head and tell us. Until then, read this.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peggy Lee? I thought that was Carol Channing!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's no one alive, let's put it that way.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa G said...

I was thinking about starting a shave-your-head in solidarity campaign ... but I like my hair too much.

So, what's this about Iraq? What's Iraq?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Singleton said...

Oh and now she's in rehab again. Well dammit, it's hard to keep up with this story. I do feel bad about her, but I wish it would stop. She's going to have to live with the spectacle she's made. I am going to have to live with the fact that I watched it.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus bloody Mary unt Joseph mitt Schlag. I cannot take this girl anymore. Shave your head, your pussy, your neck, your crack...you nasty white girl who's worse than Khia. Just go away!

Monday, February 26, 2007 8:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home