Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

May 23, 2007: A Celebri-spiral Cry for Help. Guest Blog from LG

Celebri-spiral reader LG is the guest blogger this week. She writes about the photo that caused a thousand celebri-spirals:

"I am not ashamed of my celebrity addiction. There is just something about them being in Cannes this week that put me over the edge. It's such a frenzy, but way more classy than these events that go down in LA. Cannes is all so Jackie O. I had to force myself not to look at more pics today on a A Socialite's Life. Gah.

I've never had much of a reaction to Brangelina. I always thought he peaked after Thelma and Louise (which was pretty early in the career ... as in, the very beginning), and my elephant's memory will never forget when Angie dated Billy Bob Thornton and carried around a vial of his blood. That's just crazy.

And this adoption and philanthropy business ... all well and good, and they sort of get a check mark for doing their human duty to help those less fortunate than themselves (i.e. everyone).

But maybe it was those photos of them doing mundane family things, playing at the beach, dropping the kids off at school, eating lunch together, and so on, that has made me see them as people. Because now, when I see the glamour that is this power couple, I suddenly realize all at once that 1) they are our royalty, and 2) I want that life.

In this picture, they are not trying too hard, or acting unstable, or looking desperate or outdated, like they got off the Hollywood treadmill and no one really cares anymore. Even her tattoos are somehow working. Like she's saying, 'I'm a gorgeous mom who has settled down, but I have a hot past, and someday when you're a teenager and effing up, I'll share some of my own stories with you and you'll realize I lived my life to the fullest.'

I can't take it."

Thanks, LG. You speak for all of us this week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was never a fan of Angie...but am I the only one who wants to look as amazing as Angie. She's freakin gorgeous! It's part bliss, part genes...and having Brad as an accessory! YOWZA!

Friday, May 25, 2007 6:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angelina is just impossible....gorgeous, the kids, the man who adores her, the good deeds..come on, give me something to quell my celebrity envy.

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie is the embodiment of why celebrity exists--for the rest of us to have someone to worship, envy, copy, stalk...she is beyond amazing and even if it is totally intentional, her beauty and inner peace appear genuine and effortless. Ugh....

Monday, May 28, 2007 10:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home