Celebri-spiral™: Enough Already

Our culture is in a celebri-spiral. We're conflicted over our ridiculous, growing celebrity culture consumption via magazines, websites, and TV shows. In 2007, my love/hate conflict made me take to the blog-o-sphere. All writing on this site © Dave Singleton 2009.

Friday, May 25, 2007

May 25, 2007: American Idol Coronation

America celebri-spiraled this week over the coronation of Jordin Sparks as the new American Idol.

Will we celebri-spiral over her? So far, so good. I know nothing about her personal life except a couple of minor tidbits. But her talent came across in a big way. We'll see what happens.

The show itself was designed to wreak every emotion out of you; fear, excitement, projection of star-making fantasies, joy, sadness, sentiment...and then after every former Idol sang, and Tony Bennett as the old man graced the stage, out came Bette Midler, and the wind beneath her wings, to make sure we were drained of every tear.

Jordin is just 17. I hope she, and the people around her, are careful about not falling into the celebri-spiralish trappings of fame.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Jordin is lovely and talented and deserving...but was anyone else kind of bored this season? And I have to admit something kind of embarrassing...even though in years past I picked up on a little gay vibe from Simon, this year I kind of find him hot. Am I alone in this???

Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes

Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On both counts or just that I am the only one who finds Simon hot...because I agree that I am...

Saturday, May 26, 2007 12:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon is gross. As the girl in the relationship, I like to be the bitchier one.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...nicely put. Thanks for setting me straight...

Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home